I would use Gentoo. Its the easiest to work with non-standard packages
and since all packages are built from source, you can complile them as
you wish with the use of USE flags.

Like Loren said, Gentoo is not made for production servers because its
much more bleeding edge. That said, it does not sound like your use
will be "production" in the sense that it absolutley cannot fail no
matter what.

I have been running ~3-5 Gentoo boxes since 2003 and I have never had
one crash. Two of them are primary/secondary x500 authentication
servers (Mike will know what they are).

Brock