I want to do mostly scientific work plus email on a GNU/Linux server.
Apparently all the major distros have 64-bit versions available, which
helps.  Now I'm trying to decide which distro will be best for my uses.

I know that this is the kind of thing that starts "holy wars" and I really
am not trying to start any such thing!  ;-)  If someone can give me
comparative information about the distros that have been recommended, that
would help.  If you just want to say what you like or prefer, you can do
that, but that kind of information is probably not going to help me much.
If you can specify *why* you prefer one to another (and you actually have
experience with both!), that would be really valuable information.

So what are the biggest differences between these distros for a server
class machine?  Would these differences affect users much or mostly just
administrators?

To clarify what I'll be doing:  Mostly numerical analysis (in statistical
genetics) using specialized packages but also using Octave, R, and other
standard GPL code.  I will have about a dozen users all running VNC
(Enterprise Edition) desktops on the server.  I want to run postfix and
apache and some kind of webmail server.  So, I won't be doing things like
playing DVDs or music or games, so any distro differences on that kind of
stuff is irrelevant.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you can share.

Mike

--
Michael B. Miller, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor