On Friday 12 August 2005 06:47 pm, Loren H. Burlingame wrote:
> On 8/12/05, Nicholas Thompson <nicholas.thompson1 at mchsi.com> wrote:
> > I rum Gentoo on and AMD64 2800+ w/ 1gb ram and I must say it kicks ass.
> > I am impressed beyond belief. (definitely prefer it to my damned athlon
> > 4 1600+ laptop that turns off because of heat issues when doing a kernel
> > compile!!!)
>
> I was going to pipe up with a Gentoo recommendation as well (I <3
> Gentoo), but I have not actually installed the 64 bit version, I just
> know there is one.
>
> > that's what I know, feel free to write with any questions, or if you
> > would like help installing, I can bring a amd64 gentoo install cd and my
> > brain, (the cd may be of more help.. :p)
>
> hehe, I know what you mean ;) I have been working with Gentoo for
> years and I still learn new things about it almost everyday.

I'll chime in with a vote for 64bit Gentoo. My brother and I pitched in
together to get a nice AMD64 machine. We have a Athon64 3000+ it is like
1.8gig or something. 2 gigs of RAM and some big IDE hard drives. Sure beats
up my desktop running Gentoo (athlon 1.3 gig with 768 megs RAM).

It has been super stable and has never had a single reboot. We have had 64-bit
UT2004 dedicated server running on it for 3 months straight. We also use it
for streaming audio, IRC, simple web hosting, neverwinter nights serving,
battle.net serving. Never had a single real problem with anything ever. Like
the others I am sure, there is always really cool new things to learn
regarding the Gentoo system. For example I started using this program called
esearch.... wow does that speed up the "emerge -s WHATEVER" and especially
the "emerge -S WHATEVER"

Anyways... enjoy your new system when you get it with whatever OS you pick.