On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 at 11:25AM -0500, Mike Miller wrote:
> I want to put together a 64-bit Linux server system using AMD chips
> (I'm assuming that would give maximum bang for the buck).  I guess I
> could run Fedora Core 4 x64 version with multiple CPUs.  What do you
> all think?  Is FC4 a good choice?  Is there another Linux distro that
> can use the 64-bit system?

Debian unstable works just fine with 64-bit systems, from what I've
heard. Maybe testing or stable, too.

For CPUs, are you looking at Athlon 64s? Those are nice too, but I don't
know how they compare to Opterons, price- and performance-wise.

The math department here has a lab of Athlon 64s running FC3. They're
fast -- they're 2200 MHz single-processor machines, and they beat out
the dual-processor 2133 MHz Athlons in another lab here.

Dan

--
Ceci n'est pas une .signature.