I replaced my cable modem with Comcast back at the beginning of the year. I was leasing the modem and Comcast refused to simply "give" me the modem as was their current promotion at the time for new users. So a functional, but 3 year old modem is probably now on a scrap pile some where.

Anyway, when I went to register the new modem with Comcast Tech Support, I simply hooked up a laptop directly to the modem and opened a browser, then they walked me through going to a web site that registered the modem with Comcast. No software install required. I think I used a Windows laptop (with a software firewall), but I don't see why a Linux machine couldn't do the same thing, unless their modem registration depends on something within IE that won't work with Firefox/Mozilla.

--
----
------