Certain versions of Intel's e100/1000 and the first Broadcom gig if's
gave me great hassles while connecting to supposedly auto-negotiating
3com switches and Extreme Alpines.  Gotcha's from CompaQ/HP.  That's how
I got into this mii-diag thing-- hacking ZENworks imaging CDs and PXE.
These if's were mii compatible, thankfully.