On Wed, 27 Apr 2005, Jon Schewe wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 10:08 -0500, Adam Maloney wrote:

>> john:	john at primary.mx.example.com
>> bob:	bob at primary.mx.example.com
>>
> I tried that, however the address of the primary is equal to the address
> of the host, so the backup decides that it should be delivered locally .
> In my case it's mtu.net.  The primary MX is mtu.net and the secondary is
> eggplant.mtu.net.  So when the primary is down I want eggplant.mtu.net
> to queue up mail for mtu.net until it's back up.

So setup primary.mtu.net in DNS to point to mtu.net, so the RHS of the
alias is different from what you're accepting mail for?  And then you
might have to add primary.mtu.net to local-host-names on the primary
server so it correctly accepts that mail.

> It's only 20 users or so.  We've been running without a backup for some
> time and then mail just bounces.  We figured that if we could get some
> kind of backup mail server, it'd be nice.

Heh, I was just told by an ISP/CLEC in town here that they wanted
$100/month and $100 setup for backup MX service PER DOMAIN.  What a deal!