On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 10:08 -0500, Adam Maloney wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Apr 2005, Scot Jenkins wrote:
> I know of a similar setup that doesn't use Milter (if Milter isn't a good
> optin for Jon), but neither option will work well when the primary is
> down.

I do need it to work when the primary is down.  Maybe I'll have to write
a milter that reads a separate alias file.

> The aliases trick should work, but you have to alias the addresses to the
> 1st box (Jon didn't say what you were doing with aliases), ala:
>
> john:	john at primary.mx.example.com
> bob:	bob at primary.mx.example.com

I tried that, however the address of the primary is equal to the address
of the host, so the backup decides that it should be delivered locally .
In my case it's mtu.net.  The primary MX is mtu.net and the secondary is
eggplant.mtu.net.  So when the primary is down I want eggplant.mtu.net
to queue up mail for mtu.net until it's back up.

> Just make darn sure you keep the backup system up to date - or you will
> end up bouncing mail for legitimate recipients when your primary is down.

I've got a script that does that nightly.

> I didn't see any qualification as to how "big" this mail setup is, but if
> you're managing this for a lot of users, there are some ways to automate
> something like this.  It is extremely dangerous (values for "extremely"
> vary depending on who and how many you're doing mail for) to have two
> machines both think they are the final destination for a domain (excepting
> obvious things like clusters and load balancing...)  Just keep in mind
> what you're exposure is if the backup isn't up to date, or falls over in
> some extraordinary way.

It's only 20 users or so.  We've been running without a backup for some
time and then mail just bounces.  We figured that if we could get some
kind of backup mail server, it'd be nice.

Jon Schewe | http://mtu.net/~jpschewe
GPG signature at http://mtu.net/~jpschewe/gpg.sig.html