Sam MacDonald wrote:
> I now use visi.com (think global act local)

thx i'll check em out

> nonviolentpeaceforce.org  is your domain name used for email and web site.
> nvpf.org  is another domain named used for nonviolentpeaceforce.org.
> who did the domain name registration on the 2 names?
> when I did a "whois" on both names they come up with different
> information (IP etc...)
> when I ping the domain names I get different IP addresses (big clue)
> when I tracert the domain names I get different information. (this is key)

nonviolentpeaceforce.org is hosted gratis by some generous folk, setup
prior to my hire.  nvpf.org is my addition, wbel, in house.

> when I http://www.nvpf.org I get to http://www.nonviolentpeaceforce.org

http redirect.

> (the reverse is true)

eh?

> some where the DNS "may" have an issue determining where or what IP
> addresses the names are to use.

eh?

> it looks like 209.240.253.93 and 216.15.192.47 are pointing to the same
> place.

no.

> email does not like that it likes an exact place to go especially when
> receiving servers are verifying the sending server as a static address.
> When the IP addresses don't match the email bounces.

eh?

there is only one MX for nonviolentpeaceforce.org.

on the other hand, i send out email with @nonviolentpeaceforce.org
return addresses via our nvpf.org server.  receiving servers that check
SPF might bounce such mail if nonviolentpeaceforce.org were to define
SPF records.  i've never asked if they do, but, the verizon incident is
the only mail bounce problem i've come accross, and we send alot of
email, so i really doubt it.

and anyway, if verizon was actually implementing SPF verification, why
would it work better just because i send mail for them via cpinternet
rather than via nvpf.org?  according to SPF, that should fail too.

i was thinking your prior email was describing some scheme whereby ISPs
sold "static IP" addresses that still ended up listed in "dynamic" maps,
and i still wonder if that's why verizon started rejecting mail from my
server.

> Pinging www.nvpf.org [209.240.253.93] with 32 bytes of data:
> Request timed out.

i don't answer pings.

Sam MacDonald wrote:
 > I just got this message today!

sorry, i used the wrong return address, so it sat in the moderators
queue, looks like it got approved after a couple of days rather than
discarded.

-greg

Greg Whitley Mott
IT Coordinator