It depends on the machine. This works just great in my 600X, as I wrote
before. Newer ThinkPads do indeed have PCI ID code lists that restrict which
cards can be installed.

Not all ThinkPads do, and not all brands of other laptops do... and this
card is on the OK list for many machines.

And of course, there are ways for enterprising folks like the TCLUG readers
to get around the attempt at vendor lock-in, on ThinkPads in particular.
Hurrah indeed that we even have to.

Chris