On Monday 18 April 2005 10:34 am, greg wm wrote:
> hi folks,
>
> our director has heard about blackboard, and he's interested.  he'll
> soon lose interest when he learns the price, unless we happen to find a
> donor who will pay for it.
>
> i'd love to bring in a suitable FOS substitute.  is there anything close?

I guess it depends on what you are looking to do. Others have already
responded with some of what's out there, but to best answer the question I'd
like to know if you are looking at an online learning environment (see Tim
Wilsons replies) or something more general (As mentioned by Chad Wallstrom).

FWIW I've got plenty of experience with Zope 2 and Plone. I've got some
experience with Mambo (a PHP based CMS which appears to power the
opensourcecms.com site).  But in order to give useful information I need a
little more of an idea as to why Blackboard or something similar is
interesting.

> a quick peek at opensourcecms.com says there's lots out there, but lots
> of what?  your experiences, pointers to reviews and relevant discussions
> especially welcome.

One quick note: If you decide to look into Moodle search "moodle linux
journal" at google and you should find a reference to an article published
within the last year on Moodle.

--
Jack Ungerleider
The Ungerleider Group