On Thu, 14 Apr 2005, John Meier wrote:

> If I had an extra external IP address and reserved it for the web server
> (and set up an A record using that IP and a really cool host name), could
> the PIX take traffic going to that extra IP and forward just traffic on port
> 80 to the web server at 10.1.1.115 <http://10.1.1.115> ?

You technically don't even need another IP address - as long as port 80 on
the external address isn't already being forwarded somewhere, you could
just use that.

You're looking at something like:

static (inside,outside) your.public.ip webserver.private.ip netmask \
  255.255.255.255 0 0
conduit permit tcp host your.public.ip eq www any

(This is assuming that you aren't already mapping your public IP to a
different internal IP for some other service)

I think that's it, it's from memory and I haven't touched one in a few
months.  It's also assuming that the existing config is relatively sane
and complete.

> I'm looking at the Command line interface guide for the PIX and it's
> thick.... :) just knowing this can be done will give me the courage to dive
> in!!!

Yes, it's very ugly.