Xorg is 6.8.2
Mouse is Logitech "Cordless Click!".  It has 8 buttons, 4 of them
being the scroll wheel w/ tilt scroll.
I've been using various mice w/ 5 buttons 2 of those being for the
scroll fine for a long time, but I can't seem to get to my other three
buttons.  To check to see if X is reporting the mouse events I am
using xev. The internet (okay google and a few xorg wikis) are being
little help.

Right now the mouse is hooked up through a kvm being plugged in as a
ps2 mouse.  Plugging it directly in as a usb mouse doesn't seem to
help much.

Some relative info:
hinault root # cat /proc/bus/input/devices
[========for being plugged in through the ps2 kvm ================]
I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=0006 Version=0000
N: Name="ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse"
P: Phys=isa0060/serio1/input0
H: Handlers=mouse0
B: EV=7
B: KEY=1f0000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
B: REL=103

[=========directly as usb =======================]
I: Bus=0003 Vendor=046d Product=c50e Version=2500
N: Name="Logitech USB Receiver"
P: Phys=usb-0000:00:1d.1-1/input0
H: Handlers=kbd mouse1
B: EV=120007