On Apr 4, 2005 2:32 PM, Chris Schumann <cschumann at twp-llc.com> wrote:
> It looks like not everyone got my earlier message, but I have Debian running
> just fine on the ol' gal.
>
> KDE runs... :) but it's not happy. Or rather, I'm not. 320x200 is just plain
> unpleasant. The WD90C24 driver has not been ported to the recent video
> display packages... so it will have to wait until, apparently, *I* get
> around to it. It's not a high priority.
>
> I did a six-floppy vanilla install. I didn't want to risk compact in case
> PCMCIA or axnet_cs wasn't in there. It went without a hitch once I found a
> good mirror.
> Now I have to learn how to configure CUPS with no GUI tools. I think I can
> handle Samba though.

Couple of recommendations:

Use a light window manager such as fvwm2 instead of KDE.

Try apsfilter instead of CUPS.  The configuration is really quite
simple.  I tried doing CUPS via command line, but found apsfilter to
be by far easier to setup.

What was the inteded use of this system again?  I'm curious as to the
reasoning behind loading such an old laptop up.

--
-Shawn

-Nemo me impune lacessit.  Ne Obliviscaris..