Quite right.  localhost is just a name.  It's also a convention that
administrators rely upon..  any number of names can be pointed to the
same IP address in /etc/hosts, as I've already illustrated (weakly) in
this thread.  Mark, you're not retarded, stupid or newbie.  Stop
insulting yourself.
ps. Do you still play bass for that Nelson guy?