Hey everyone,

I've got a box that has a number of virtual hosts doing a bunch of different
things. When I installed Debian Linux originally, I set the computer's
hostname to 'homer' after everyone's favorite doughnut-eating symbol of
Americana.

I discovered just today that postfix isn't getting any outgoing email
through to domains other than our own. Here's a typical entry from
/var/log/mail.log

Sep 27 12:40:11 homer postfix/smtp[13172]: 1A2622124: to=<wilson at visi.com>,
relay=none, delay=120, status=deferred (connect to
visi.com.mail8.psmtp.com[64.18.5.10]: Connection timed out)

It occurred to me that I don't have a valid external DNS entry for homer and
that might be the reason for the problem. I tried switching the computer's
hostname to one of the several ones assigned to this system that do resolve.
I changed /etc/hostname and the entry in /etc/postfix/main.cf, but as you
can see from the log, postfix is still showing 'homer' as the hostname. I
also restarted postfix and the networking system on this server. Logging in
at the console shows the new hostname in the prompt.

Any suggestions? I'm not sure what the next step would be.

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson
Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA