Chad Walstrom wrote:
> Another one to look at is bacula (http://www.bacula.org).  You need a
> RDBMS database installed, such as PostgreSQL or MySQL.  It has some nice
> graphical and command-line utilities and clients for Windows and Mac OS
> X.  Worth a look if you need to backup many machines.

I second bacula.  I've been using it for around 6 months and it has worked
very well for tapeless backups.  It was easy to setup, it has nice tools
to work with, and I've had no problems as of yet.  I also like the fact
that you can customize the way it names your backup files.  Makes it
easier to verify what was done when.

If you're curious, I'm backing up around 15 windows desktops and one SuSE
server which is 15 more machines than you need, but you get the picture...
it works!

You can also setup external path files that the director reads when
iniating a job so that you can add files to be backed up on the fly by
adding them to the path file. No need to restart the daemon to add files
to a particular backup.  Not sure if Amanda does this?

Also, it works well with Windows and Linux.  It's very cool IMHO that
they're using the WxWidgets for their client GUIs.  I love when software
works well and looks good across multiple OS.

Sorry for the long reply, but I had to give bacula a good plug.

-Eric