Hmmm, 28.8K baud?

I can remember when my 300 baud Carterphone modem was styling!

UNIX was just starting to make the rounds - the first versions were showing
up at the UofM.

The hot new item was this microcomputer thingy . . .

A few hardy type were actually building their own hardware out of chips; I
wire-wrapped my own SC/MP micro and tried to figure out what to do with it.

The focus for many in this crowd was tiny basic in 4K.
The place were I learned about the inner working of an interpreter core was
DDJ. The very crude star-trek game would actually run in some of the
available hardware.

My Lancaster TV-typewriter was the user interface. The 32 x 16 character
display seemed pretty good at the time.

A popular input device was the Proko paper tape reader; you pulled the tape
past the photodiodes by hand. Of course, getting stuff punched was the
trick, that's where the modem came in. You could send your stuff to someone
who had a TTY and modem. Barring any bad data transmission, the TTY would
punch a permanent copy as it received the data.

A few folks in the twin cities had personal DEC hardware (mostly PDP 8) and
were the envy of all.

As I recall, a PDP11 with an RK05 disk pack and a kelly-green screen
Tektronix terminal was unbelievable luxury. We used them at work I
fantasized about someday owning a machine as cool as those.

Now those were the days!

Mark Browne