I agree with all Andrew says, some folks just don't want to do that much
research. They want to get the system up and running so they can use the
computer for everyday stuff :-)

I like a system with minimal stuff and have run several distributions this way.
Debian is the easiest to get going and enhance, apt-get works very well. (Now
I'm missing the text based games I love to play)

I was privledged to receive some instruction on doing a base install using
diskettes at an install fest. It was a great experience, that is what is so
good about install fest's, the social interaction makes installing Linux MORE
fun.

Pizza and people is the best!

I'm so busy with volenteer work I just don't have the time to spend working on a
base machine. I guess I'll stick with my Fedora Core 1 and smile :-)

Sam.