On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 11:38:53 -0500, Andrew Zbikowski <andyzib at gmail.com> wrote:
> The questions I have are...it's not immediatly obvious to me how to
> use lame or oggenc to encode directly from the line in...if it's even
> possible? Does the entire thing need to be dropped into wav first?
>
> Also, anyone have any thoughts as what a good bitrate for FM radio
> encoding would be? Mostly I'm going for talk shows, so quality isn't a
> huge issue.

This isn't exactly what you're looking for, but I wrote this script a
few months ago to record a few mpr shows....I wasn't using an FM
tuner, but I just plugged a cheapo radio into the line-in jack.
Obviously the limitation with that approach is that you're stuck with
one frequency.  Hopefully this will get you going in the right
direction.

It uses arecord to record the wav file, which it then passes through
ecanormalize, which evens out the relative volume levels of the shows.
 After the normalization step, I compress with lame.  As you can see,
I have some defaults set in the variables section, but you can specify
things like bitrate, samle rate, etc from the command line.  When
recording a voice-only show, I compress at a fairly low bitrate, but
it's nice to have the option of compressing at 128/256/etc for shows
with music.

-Erik