> Regarding the SSH authentication issue, every instance I have seen of
> this type of issue is a result of having no reverse DNS set up, host
> tries to do reverse dns, waits until it fails, then proceeds with the
> authentication. Perhaps setting up some reverse DNS records or a host
> file on the SSH server would help?

Note that the client in this case is a desktop PC running Win2K/Cygwin and
the server is a big Solaris box administered by a bureaucracy.  The IP
number of my desktop PC does not appear to be in DNS.  I believe this is
true of all the desktop PCs in the whole company.  How might I determine
that this is a reverse DNS issue?  I don't see anything in the ssh -v output
that suggests this (or anything else).