michaelb at real-time.com wrote:
> SSH connections to the server that houses our CVS repository are painfully
> slow.  Once connected everything is fine.  It's just the authentication part
> that takes forever.  I have no idea why this is so, but I have to live with it
> day in and day out.  Lately I've been wondering if there was something I could
> do to avoid reconnecting every time I perform a CVS command.  One thought that
> came to mind is running a SSH proxy thingy on my local box that would remain
> connected to the CVS server and forward commands.  I would then set of CVSROOT
> to point at localhost.  When I executed CVS commands they would get executed on
> the remote CVS server.  Another way to think of this is as a sshd daemon that
> runs on one machine but forwards everything to a different machine.  Note that
> the -L forwarding option of ssh does not fulfill my needs because it forces me
> to reconnect/reauthenticate.  Does anyone know of a such a SSH proxy thingy or
> a different solution to my problem?

Regarding the SSH authentication issue, every instance I have seen of
this type of issue is a result of having no reverse DNS set up, host
tries to do reverse dns, waits until it fails, then proceeds with the
authentication. Perhaps setting up some reverse DNS records or a host
file on the SSH server would help?

Josh