dan wrote:

> would someone tell me just what a Knoppix CD is and where to get it
> and just what does it do?

As for "what does it do?" -- some examples:

1. Installing Linux.  Knoppix's hardware detection capability is
excellent.  If you're having trouble finding the correct configuration
of drivers etc, then boot up Knoppix.  It usually gets the hardware
setup correct, and you can use the Knoppix configuration as a hint of
how to set up your installation.  On the other hand, if Knoppix doesn't
work, prepare yourself for a lot of headaches, or consider using some
other hardware.

2. Quick troubleshooting tool.  Knoppix doesn't rely on device drivers
loaded from your hard disk, so you can check out hardware like video
cards and network connections, bypassing software problems.  If the
hardware works with Knoppix, the problem's probably in the software.
Can be used to repair some file system errors on the hard drive, too.
Works with Windows as well as Linux systems.

3. Portable software.  I like to use OpenOffice.org for word processing,
and I can run it from a Knoppix CD anywhere I can borrow a computer.

Kraig