This is my machine and I'm running redhat linux and I looked and it looks as
if the web server is running as apache:apache, any ideas?

Todd wrote:
> what I'm trying to do is upload a file using php and once I've
> uploaded the file change the permissions of the file to 755 but what
> is happening is it's assigning the file to user nobody and group
> nobody with a 600 permission level and I'm not sure how to change the
> permissions on the user nobody so that I can change the file
> permissions with php.

You should be able to chmod the file to more useful permissions, but
changing it to an executable permission is quite crazy.  In any case,
it's being assigned nobody:nobody because that is what you web server is
running as.  This is bad security, by the way.  Your web server should
have it's own user and group, such as www-data:www-data or httpd:httpd.

What system is this being hosted on?  Linux?  Sun?  Is this your machine
or an ISP's? etc.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>           http://www.wookimus.net/