On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 12:33:05 -0500, Brian Johnson <blj at umn.edu> wrote:
> Have you seen the recent speed comparisons of java and c++, java is
> catching up and pulling ahead in some areas, even including jvm loading
> time.  see http://www.idiom.com/~zilla/Computer/javaCbenchmark.html and
> http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=5602.
>
> second, what does speed have to do with if the language is good for
> learning cs?

Sorry, two thoughts mixed together there. Speed doesn't have anything
to do with it. Java does too much for the user though. Like others
were saying, students should learn about pointers and memory
management. It helps then think better and write more robust programs
if they know how it works.

Why don't schools teach python/C then? Students could learn python for
the basics, then learn C, and C works together seamlessly with python.
They could learn the best of both worlds this way. Also, most linux
programs are written in C.

-Josh