On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 10:40:17 -0500, Erik Anderson <erikerik at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 10:15:54 -0500, Justin Kremer
> <justin.kremer at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I would personally not recommend going that route unless you already
> > have laptops that you wish to be able to use with wireless, and then
> > only as a second option, unless your only need is to use the Internet.
> >  I used to live in a house where everyone had wireless in their laptop
> > and I would still plug my laptop into the wired network any time I did
> > any file transfer within our network because of the huge difference in
> > speed.
>
> Yeah - I'm really torn between the relative ease of going wireless and
> devoting the time and $$$ for the more permanent cat5 solution.
>
> In my current house, I'm just using 802.11b, but that's mainly due to
> the plaster walls/ceilings that make retro-fitting data cable somewhat
> difficult.  In the new place, I'll have access to most of the rooms
> either via false ceilings (in the basement) or via the attic.

WRT to pulling cable, I had cable installed in my new house last week,
and he had a 3' 3/4" bit with a hole drilled in the end, so he just
went straight into the wall, then down at a tight angle through the
floor. Of course, the drop ceiling in the basement was what made this
possible, but if you can do this in the basement or attic, it's
relatively painless, all things considered. I'll probably wire my
place up like this and try to retrofit some smurf tube in there as
well. Eventually, I'd like to be rid of drop ceiling and more formally
finish my basement.