On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, Erik Anderson wrote:
> Yeah - I'm really torn between the relative ease of going wireless and
> devoting the time and $$$ for the more permanent cat5 solution.
>
> In my current house, I'm just using 802.11b, but that's mainly due to
> the plaster walls/ceilings that make retro-fitting data cable somewhat
> difficult.  In the new place, I'll have access to most of the rooms
> either via false ceilings (in the basement) or via the attic.

Put the wire in. It's worth it. I tried feeding my firewall with internet
access via 802.11g in my condo for awhile, and finally got fed up and
installed some cat5 (which was rather painful, but well worth it.) I was
seeing higher latency (+5-10ms) and some packet loss (depending on who was
sitting where in the house) with the wireless, which was really messing
with Vonage at times.  :) I could've probably used a couple external
antennas, but it would've still been a bit of a hack in my opinion. I
still do use wireless for one of my MythTV frontends and my laptop (when
it's not sitting on my desk next to my workstation), but not for anything
critical.