I had to do this same thing with an old sony vaio.

You need a grub compiled with support for the NIC in the laptop (see netboot/README.netboot in the source dist). Then you need to make a boot floppy using this grub.

Put the vmlinuz and initrd.img files from the FC2 iso's on a different machine on your network, and serve them using tftp. Set up all the files you need for a network install of FC2 on some machine, and serve them with httpd or ftpd or whatever you prefer for net install.

Have a look at the grub manual using info. In particular read the 'network.general usage of network support'. Boot the laptop using the floppy you made, and do
ifconfig --address=<ip you want for the laptop> --server=<ip of the tftp server>
root (nd)
kernel /tftproot/some/path/kernel_image_file [options]
initrd /tftproot/some/path/initrd_image_file
boot

and you should be ready to do the network install.

cheers,
steve

On Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 09:31:14PM -0500, Brian Wall wrote:
> I didn't realize that FC2 doesn't supply floppy images.  I have a
> laptop with no CDROM that will not boot off USB.  The only boot medium
> I have is floppy disk.  Is there a way to break up the larger images
> into floppies?  I did a net install of FC1 on this machine using
> floppies, and I'd like to do the same with FC2.
>
> -Brian

Steve Linabery, sysadmin/developer
World Cycling Productions