On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 07:29:53 -0500, jreynolds5 at mn.rr.com
<jreynolds5 at mn.rr.com> wrote:
> Ok, here are a few things I'd like to inject into this.
>
> There is a cd on the internet called an 8-in-1 Windows XP install disc. It contains multiple versions of windows xp to be installed on a computer. It contains Windows xp pro (oem, upgrade, full, corporate), windows xp home (oem, upgrade, full), windows media center, and some even have some extra utilities. Finding it may not be the easiest but it is out there. Microsoft isn't putting this tool out there, and as usual they are pretty clueless that techs need this.

This is exactly what a person like myself needs. On many occasions I
have had to buy another copy of Windows XP because clients have lost
the cd and or the product key. There is no way to tell which cd you
need if all you have is the Key. also not all versions of XP come with
a sticker to stick on the box.

I have absolutely no desire to try to cheat MS out of any licence
fees. People who use windows understand that they need to pay MS to
use it. But, if a legitimate licence is  owned by the client they
should not have to pay for another one on the same machine. Which
brings me to my point about what really bugs me about MS. They DO have
a clue that techs need something like this, how could they not. This
cd is not easily available to techs because it would prevent people
from buying additional duplicate licences of MS Products.

So many A+ Techs I've meet are so afraid of breaking MS Agreements and
losing there cretifcation that they habitually make clients buy
duplicate licences which they already own. Use Linux!!!

</rant>

PS: OEM version of MS products, office included, are tied to the
hardware, if you replace the box you have to replace the Licence with
new ones.

--
Tom Penney