Sam wrote:

>Buy new PC's for business not used PC's, get some support with them.
>Buy Dell machines, buy the 3 year on site 24/7/365 warranty, don't scrimp.

This isn't a bad idea, but I would personally ever select Dell or any
other brand PC with OEM custom mainboards.  I would select a PC with a
"standard" mainboard that could be purchased in a retail box and is
built by companies known for their high quality mainboards such as Tyan,
Abit, Asus, etc. (avoid the under $100 crappy/buggy mainboards).

Often the only way to get a quality PC is to build (assemble) it
yourself using all high quality components, starting with the PS, the
truly key component and source of about 50% of all hardware problems.
Even so called "high quality" PC OEMs don't use _all_ high quality
components.  They may use a truly high quality video card, but the PS is
often middle quality at best.

Look at support as an insurance policy.  It is wasted money unless you
really need it.  Your internal support structure may be a far better
solution plus ready made backup servers, etc.  Who is more motivated to
respond, internal support people whose paycheck depends on their
performance or support contract people who already have your money.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs <kfuchs at winternet.com>