Andrew Zbikowski wrote:

>Ah...well prism54 won't work on (stock) Woody. If you don't want to
>make the leap to sarge, your best bet would be to add:
>
>deb http://www.backports.org/debian stable kernel-2.6 pcmcia-cs
>
>apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
>
>Things might start working...not sure. I'm just guessing, I don't have
>a woody box to play with. :)

Well, I'm making small steps forward -- and giant steps back.  I ran the
update and upgrade, and then a dist upgrade... nothing made much
difference as far as getting the wireless card to work.  I think now I
had sarge all along, and had upgraded from kernel 2.4 to 2.6 somewhere
along the way.

So I just thought -- start over.  Reloaded everything from a CD
"sarge-i386-netinst.iso (beta 4)".  The base system works OK, but I lost
all the x-window and KDE stuff.  Tried again, using the "testing (beta
3)" CD that I had originally used to set up three Debian boxes, where
all the pretty stuff worked right away.  Now it isn't there.  Maybe the
installer and the current package use different names now?

And I now know that the wireless card (Netgear WG511) is good:  works OK
with Windows on the same laptop.

Kraig