On Sat, Oct 23, 2004 at 10:35:20AM -0500, Mike Miller wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 nate at refried.org wrote:
> >If you run this from cron, any output is usually sent in a mail to the
> >user that owns the cron job.  If you're running this as root, just
> >forward the mail from root to your email address.
>
> That applies to stdout and stderr, but if there is no such output, no mail
> is sent.  If the cron job is a script that sends an e-mail message, it
> should send that message to the adressee, not to the owner of the cron
> job.

It sounded to me like Mike had full control over the system he was
running backups on.  If he changed the script to output a message the
email part would be taken care of for him.

If he wants the mail to go somewhere else than the account running the
cron job, there are many ways to redirect the cron email to the correct
address.

I just wanted to make it clear there might be other ways to get the end
result he wants.

Nate