On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 14:53:19 -0500, John T. Hoffoss
<john.t.hoffoss at gmail.com> wrote:
> The first thing I would try is both the SCSI cable and terminator.
> They are relatively cheap, and you should have backups (if you don't
> already) anyway, and it only takes a minute to change the cable and
> terminator. From there, I would pursue the lines of thought pointed
> out by others. But to start, keep it simple to rule that out.
>
> John

John,

Thanks for the reply.  I did try several different cables and used
both an active terminator and the on board jumper.  Both caused the
locks.  I've tried about all I can think of.  I was thinking of going
to the 2.6 kernel in suse 9.1.  I have come across one or two bits on
the net about SMP kernels causing scsi bus freezes, but some of the
stuff was pretty old (like 2.2 kernel stuff).  I am going to try and
boot to a single proc kernel and see if the same thing happens.

cheers,
rotbau