> From: Rick Meyerhoff <rick at eworld3.net>

> It's been a while since I've worked with any SCSI devices but you used
> to have to have a terminator (BTR) at the end of the chain. Without that
> you would get strange behavior.

Yeah I've tried several different cables and used both an active
terminator at the end of the cable and the onboard jumper terminator
on the hp dat drive.  All provided the same results.

> I'm also wondering if you are putting one big file on the tape or many
> small files? Maybe you are hitting one file that is causing problems.

The freeze happens within 30 - 50 seconds of start, usually just going
through some smaller files.  Nothing really big on the system yet.  I
have tried various directories trying to rule out a particular file
bugging it out.  It even happens with tar.  I was able to tar a small
job (like maybe 50-60 files).  The bigger tar job frooze just the same
as the rest.