Knoppix has an option to install to the hard drive. If you like it,
why not use it? If you are going the Debian route, your best bet is
the netinst image or the business card image from

The business card has to download the base system...so I'd go with the
netinst unless you really really just have to start installing now.

Personally, I just finished backing up my Debian box and am going to
get around to installing Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntulinux.org/) tomorrow
(Maybe I'll make it to the install fest...maybe....). I setup a Ubuntu
box at work and the installer is basically the same as Sarge. For a
desktop box it works great, espically when you just stick to the
ubuntu core (supported) packages.

Unfortunatly, the main application for the work box was in Ubuntu
Univers (Unsupported packages) and went all sig11 on me, so I went
back to Sarge. Anyway, the experiince was that Ubuntu is very well
done, it is Debian based, and if you're looking for a nice up to date
desktop box I'd give it a shot. The download CD is a bit larger (full
700 mb ISO.) compared to the Debian netinstall CDs, so you're probally
downloading more than you need, but I like the out of the box look and
feel of ubuntu, and the inprovments of GNOME 2.8 over 2.4 are quite
noticible. (Probally doesn't matter much if you're a KDE fan).

--
Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://andy.zibnet.us
 A password is like your underwear; Change it