smac at visi.com wrote:

><snip>
>
>Anyone ever think about approaching the senior community about secure computing
>with Linux? I'm a little shy of selling someone a Laptop with Linux on it. I'm
>not up to doing support of anything right now, I'm to busy. Supporting the
>elder community on Linux would be a challenge
>
><snip>
>

>Sam.

Yes as a volunteer at Thompson Park Activity Center in West St Paul.  The city of Mendota Heights donated six Compaq 1.6 Ghz computers to the activity center as part of the Senior Education activities at Thompson Park about two years ago.  The city of Mendota Heights also donated Windows XP Professional software, Windows 2000 Office suite and license for each computer.  The IT department of school district ISD197 administrators the computers and access to the internet, computers are on the ISD197 fiber network for internet, so we have no authorization to change software.  Asked if we could have one computer with a Linux OS installed, even dual boot, answer was NO!  But have Mandrake Move CD and have shown a few others what that distro looks like.  At least the IT has not messed up the BIOS and can use a CD version of Linux.  But not one seems to be interested, they are all "happy" with Windows.  There are about eight volunteers who come to the activity center a few times a week and assist seniors or older adults with computer skills for free.

The older adults who do come in have a hard enough time with Windows, so do not think they would like Linux.

Jerry