> Well, some UNIX OSs are open source, some are not.  A decade ago when many
> university systems were switching over from VMS to UNIX, I didn't hear
> much about open source.  I'm not sure why they were doing it.  It could be
> that DEC was just charging too much and universities were saving money
> with UNIX.  I don't know.  Anyone know the history?

Well, actually back in the early/mid 80s there was lots of talk about
open systems rather than open source. The switch in Universities was
fueled (At least in my experience) by research grants. It was much easier
for us to get  grants from the National Science Foundation(NSF), NASA
DOE or even foundations to outfit research labs with Sun 3/60s,/50s
or sun 280 and SGIs and to get computational time on one of the
major NSF supercomputer centers than to get $$ to pay for recurring
costs of running your stat/modeling jobs on VMS or CDC Cyber 6xxx
boxes. I believe the Grand Challenges initiatives and the defense
programs  of the early/mid 80s  fueled much of the conversion because
of the nature of the computational needs(the engineering problems
that needed to be solved relied on a combination of visualization, number
crunching and ubiquitousness of tools). Most proposals for
aerospace/climate/weather/bio sci etc included MIPS, M68xxx's
running some flavor of *nix*. The first time I saw some thing different
was when Tannenbaum shipped his first Minix version for 8086. I saw an
integrator advertise it with some sort RS software. I believe These
factors could explain the speed-ed conversion but some one from the
history of science may shed better light!  I also believe places where
the Hardware is used by more than one business unit (research and admin)
lagged in conversion because they are usually dominated by pragmatists
rather than visionaries who are usually early adopters.

--elhaddi