On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, Brian Hurt wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, Mike Miller wrote:
>
>> It is interesting that so many people believe that VMS is superior to
>> UNIX OSs, yet VMS is basically dying and being replaced by UNIX/Linux.
>> This has been going on for a decade or so, at least at universities.
>
> Unix has one advantage VMS doesn't/didn't have: Unix is open source.

Well, some UNIX OSs are open source, some are not.  A decade ago when many
university systems were switching over from VMS to UNIX, I didn't hear
much about open source.  I'm not sure why they were doing it.  It could be
that DEC was just charging too much and universities were saving money
with UNIX.  I don't know.  Anyone know the history?

Incidentally, UNIX is older than VMS.  I used to think it was the other
way around but someone taught me otherwise a few years ago.

Mike