On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, Jeff Nelson wrote:

> Disclaimer: HP is my employer. I am an OpenVMS operating system software
> engineer. I don't work in sales or marketing, I just write code (and
> sometimes teach). Statements made represent my understanding of facts,
> my opinions, and are not official statements from HP.

It is great to have someone with your expertise on the list.  I will take
your comments very seriously because you know so much about VMS.

I wanted to find something about DefCon 9 and OpenVMS, so I did a google
search.  Everything I found seemed very 'corporate.' For example, on this
web page it shows the CEO of HP and it says "MIT is the soul of OpenVMS
Technology":

http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/links/cool_openvms.html

I assumed that MIT stood for Massachusetts Institute of Technology.  So I
went to MIT web pages to see what they had to say about OpenVMS and this
was one of the first things I found:

   http://www.psfc.mit.edu/cmod/unix/move_analysis.html

   The OpenVMS computers are aging, and will soon be going away.  All
   interactive and batch jobs will eventually need to be moved to either
   the new unix machines or nodes of the beowulf cluster.  Jobs should run
   five to ten times faster on the new machines.

It is interesting that so many people believe that VMS is superior to UNIX
OSs, yet VMS is basically dying and being replaced by UNIX/Linux.  This
has been going on for a decade or so, at least at universities.

The corporate line is clearly that OpenVMS gives better uptime than
UNIX/Linux, but where is the data?  I found no data.  No independent
tests.  It is probably a difficult comparison to make when both Linux and
VMS boxes will run for months or years without a reboot.  I do know that
our most important service - e-mail - has been down very often during the
past few years.  Delivery is generally very slow.  I'm very sure that a
Linux solution would have given us better e-mail availability.  Data?
Oops - I don't have any either!  On the other hand, with a small number of
users on my Solaris box, I have kept e-mail up as long as I've had power
for the past 7 years.  It has never delayed delivery of any message as far
as I can tell.  I think Linux would perform at least as well.

More messages to come...

Mike

--
Michael B. Miller, Ph.D.