Jeff Nelson wrote:

> First, VMS is secure because security was designed into the operating
> system, not added as an afterthought. For example, the 4-layer ring
> design, where the core ring is the most trusted (kernel mode) and the
> outer ring least trusted (user mode). Another example: the
> specialization of privileges and access control lists. There's just
> one privilege (root) with Linux, though access control lists are
> starting to appear.
>
> Second, DEFCON 9 (July 2001) labeled VMS "Cool and Unhackable" after
> attempts were made to hack into a standard VMS system with no firewall
> between it and the hackers. The hackers even had access to an
> unprivileged user account. VMS is the only operating system to achieve
> this rating.
>
> Third, VMS has earned a security rating from the Department of Defense.

VMS may be the only on to get the "Cool and Unhackable" from DEFCON but
I would be shocked if any of the trusted versions of AIX, Solaris,
HP/UX, etc. wouldn't prove to be just as hard to hack. That's why
SELinux is so interesting; although, I'll admit that VMS is going to be
easier to administer for the foreseeable future than SELinux.

--rick