Here's another $.02 for Slackware from a relative newcomer to Linux.

I first started with Linux last March, starting with Mandrake, and
I've played with a half-dozen or so distros. I switched to Slackware
for my main machine this year.

I find Slackware to be simple, uncluttered, clean, fast and very
stable. (I dual-boot it with WinXP). It think it's a good distro to
use if you want to really get to know how Linux works.

If you do try Slack, the Slackware forum on linuxquestions.org is
worth checking out.

As one of the people on that list said - Slack's not hard, it just
makes you learn faster. (For that matter, I think it's reputation for
difficulty is greatly overstated.)

I think it's obvious from this list that your task is not to find the
one good distro. From what I can see you have a plethora of really
good choices.

You might find it amusing to nose around distrowatch.com, both to
compare distros and to see what a wide choice you have.

Cheers,

Charles Null Obert

(I have no middle name, and yes, I did get mail addressed to me like that.)