Old PC is a GREAT idea it lets you break it before doing your main machine.

I have more computers then I should have but each machine has it's purpose.
F&P Server, Web Server, workstation, mobile, test, and my wife and kids each
have machines. I don't have to beg to use the computer and I don't have to deal
with their problems on a machine I use for what ever purpose.

Sam.