I have a Dell OptiPlex GX200 with an integrated 3Com 3C920 NIC. I just
added an Intel PRO/1000 card but I cannot get it to work upon boot
because the kernel module will not load. After the system boots, I can
manually load the module with insmod and then run the network startup
scripts. Everything is fine then. How can I configure the system to load
the module by itself?

Here is what I have done so far...

I am running Debian Sarge with the latest 2.6 kernel (2.6.8-1-686). I
don't need to have the 3Com NIC running at all, so I went into
/etc/modutils/aliases and replaced "alias eth0 3c59x" with "alias eth0
e1000". Next I ran "update-modutils" and verified that it correctly
modified the /etc/modules.conf file. What else do I need to do to get
this to work?

I don't know if this matters or not, but the module for the 3Com and
Intel NICs are in different locations (by default). Should this be
handled automatically, or is there something else I need to do?

   /lib/modules/2.6.8-1-686/kernel/drivers/net/3c59x.ko
   /lib/modules/2.6.8-1-686/kernel/drivers/net/e1000/e1000.ko

Thanks,
Michael Glaser