Argh.  Well, as reported, I found out that the problem with my USB
drive was that the kernel wanted to run e2fsck on it, because it had
been mounted so many times w/o being checked.

OK.  So I *did* run e2fsck on it.  It was fine.  Then I started
rsyncing to it again.

Same dang message.

Oct  8 17:36:14 necronomicon kernel: EXT2-fs warning: maximal mount count reached, running e2fsck \
is recommended

I ran e2fsck betweeen 6 and  7 o'clock, but:

Oct  8 18:11:42 necronomicon last message repeated 588 times
Oct  8 19:12:22 necronomicon last message repeated 251 times
Oct  8 19:13:23 necronomicon last message repeated 2069 times
Oct  8 19:14:24 necronomicon last message repeated 1925 times

Seems like whatever mount count the kernel is using, it doesn't get
cleared by e2fsck.

I tried manually changing it to zero using tune2fs, and that seemed to
reset it to zero, but the mount count immediately started zooming
upward again.  So what gives?  Is there something about the USB
protocol so that this dang thing is getting remounted a zillion times?

Sadly, I smashed the mount counting (setting the maximal mount count
to 0), using tune2fs.  Now the annoying zillions of messages in
/var/log/kernel/warnings are gone.  But it's still pig slow.

This seems not to be 100%, either.  I rsynced to it last night, and
it was fine.  Tonight:  slow.

Thanks for any advice,