Take a look at Mysql Replication.  I think you could configure the Laptop
as the master DB and then setup the replication - the slave would
constantly try to get data from the master.  When the master is gone - it
would get nothing and then when the master is available it (theoretically)
would sync up.  I have used mysql replication in the past so I know that
it would work - it's just the issue of sometimes the slave may not be able
to pull data from the master for a long period of time that concerns me..

Either way, it's worth a look.