I've never used Gentoo myself, everything I know about it is basically
what I've picked up from tclug, so please corrent me if I'm wrong.
>From my understanding, when you emerge packagename (or whatever the
syntax is in Gentoo) the portage system actually compiles the source
code to make the binary, where Debian, RedHat, and others offer you
binary packages that you can just install and confgire, thus skipping
the compile time.

I personally run Linux on a AMD Athlon 700. Even if I had a faster
system, I don't see the security, performance, and other advantages of
building the source locally as an acceptable tradeoff. I'm perfectly
happy and comfortable with apt-get install package, and installing a
precompiled binary on my system. It takes much less time, and to my
point of view, the results are the same.

Even if I'm wrong about Gentoo, choosing a Linux distro comes down to
comfort level, personal preferences, and the coolness and Wow factor.
Gentoo definitly has the Wow factor, but I perfer to only compile
software when I have to. To me, being able to recompile all software
on my system is just a "wow that sure is neat...but why would I ever
need to do such a thing?"

What you need to consider Patrick is where is your perferred balance
of ease of use vs functionality. Distributions like RedHat/Fedora
include lots of tools that are specific to Red Hat and Fedora for
easing the most common task such as configurint hardware, your
Xserver, printers, etc...where as Debian and Gentoo tend to lean more
tward the expectation that the user knows how to do some configuration
on their own, thus they tend to just provide some resonable defaults
for software and not work too heavly on nice GUI based configuration
tools.

IMHO, there are some issues that deserve huge flame wars. Linux
distributions aren't one of those isses. :)

--
Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://andy.zibnet.us
 A password is like your underwear; Change it