On Fri, 1 Oct 2004, Josh Trutwin wrote:
> What I'm wondering is how do I configure eth0 if I replace the Cable
> Modem and the IP address is dynamic?  The cable modem is pretty generic,
> I'm not sure if it has any interface I can log into to configure (not
> that I'd know what to do anyway).  I'm using DynDNS (the best) for
> dynamic DNS services and they have a client program (ddclient) which I
> expect to run on the Debian box to tell DynDNS when my IP address
> changes, not sure how that well that will work though if the IP changes
> and suddenly eth0 has the wrong IP address?

Easy. Install the 'dhcp3-client' package, and set up your interface like:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Then, see /usr/share/doc/ddclient/README.ddclient, and look for the 'USING
DDCLIENT WITH dhclient' section on how to set that up. Instead of copying
the file to /etc/dhclient-enter-hooks, though, you can copy it to
/etc/dhcp3/dhclient-enter-hooks.d/ddclient.

> I also thought about throwing my RT314 (which no one bought from my
> Classified ad for shame) between the Cable Modem and the Firewall and
> have it NAT everything to say 192.168.1.1 and set that as the address
> for eth0.

Nooo! Last thing you want to do! :)