>>> josh at trutwins.homeip.net 11/30/04 09:09AM >>>
>On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 07:01:49 -0600
>gregwm <tclug at greatlakedata.com> wrote:

>> hello fellow techheads,
>>
>> does anyone have a pointer to a nice terse unbiased discussion
>> somewhere about the relative merits of courier imap vs cyrus imap vs
>> other remote email access folder sharing methods?

>Heh - personlly I prefer courier - I cannot badmouth any of the others
>because I haven't tried them enough to have a bad opinion.  I have
>heard nightmare stories about uw-imap though.  Courier's maintainer is
>very active on the mailing lists and has answered many of my support
>questions directly.  The release cycle is frequent enough to let you
>know he's working hard on the project, but not frequent enough to be a
>pain in the rear to update every other week.

I'll put in another vote for Courier. Three things to know about the developer:

1. He is rabid about reading the documentation
2. He is an absolute RFC purist
3. He has some issues with the 'competition' - see http://www.courier-mta.org/fud/

<big snip>

>> and what does anyone think of Sender Policy Framework?

>I have yet to implement it, though it's on my list of TODO's.

Courier-mta implements it in current code

>> (i'm in the visioning stage for replacing our m$ based mail
>> service..)

>Any step in this direction is a good one.  Personally I use qmail with
>courier-imap.  It's a bit of a homebrew system though.  I know some
>who are religious about which MTA you use, whatever, just pick one
>that meets your needs.  As far as IMAP goes, same deal, though I
>cannot imagine that you could go wrong with Courier-IMAP.  FWIW
>Courier also has a full-featured MTA as well.

I'm using the full Courier suite of tools for my home system and have
been pleased with the results. I just landed a replacement server and
I'm in the process of building a new system with SuSE 9.2 and the
latest Courier builds.

Bruce