On Sun, 21 Nov 2004, Josh Welch wrote:

> I don't recall who was asking about the 650, but there is a relative
> blurb on Slashdot about an issue that they seem to have. Apparently the
> historically great memory usage of the Palm devices has gone by the
> wayside.
>
> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/11/21/1632209&tid=100&tid=1

Thanks.  The interested people were me, Tom Marble and Andrew Zbikowski,
and maybe others.

This is bad news.  Apparently, the new method of memory allocation in the
Treo 650 requires that a minimum of 512 bytes be used for every record in
a database.  Thus, memory usage increases dramatically, but the Treo 650
has no more memory available than we have in the Treo 600.  For many Treo
600 users, this makes the Treo 650 unusable.

So I'm glad I haven't purchased a 650.

I still have my Treo 600.  I just received a replacement, so I'm now on my
third Treo 600.  It's great while it's working!  I have the Sprint version
of the 600 and a Sprint store not too far away.  They can get a
replacement for me pretty quickly when my Treo fails.

Mike