On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 11:06:46AM -0600, Bob Tanner wrote:

> > Doesn't your
> > fax machine/software print the number the message came from on the fax?
>
> Yes,  TSI crap can be forged and with the caller-id forge things now, it's
> pointless. The last bunch of junk faxes we got all had the info forged or
> faudulant.

Contrary to popular belief, the number printed on the top of those faxes
is NOT gathered via caller-id, it's sent by the remote system. It's the same
process you went through when you setup your fax machine.

You're essentially looking at the From: address, and we all know how easy
it is to forge that.

Get a caller-id box, plug it in in-line, watch the real callerid start.

Callerid blocked? Call your telephone company to report it.

Most states allow you to file in small claims court to recover the $500/fax,
and you can file it against the people for whom the fax was sent.

> > I had received some spam fax at a business once but it at least had a
> > number one could call to "make it stop".  I called, and  surprisingly
> > they stopped.  YMMV.
>
> We are seeing the old spammer trick with junk faxes. You call to get off the
> list, only to confirm the fax number is legit, and be put on a different junk
> fax list.

Last resort would be to call the telephone company and tell them you're
receiving harassing fax calls, and you would like a trace put on the line.

They will log inbound calls, phone # (despite callerid blocking), time/date etc.
this can then be handed over to the proper authorities or subpoenaed in court.